Cromer Lawn Tennis & Squash Club

01263 513741

A FIFTEEN POINT HISTORY OF TENNIS IN CROMER

  • October 24th 1885: (Norfolk Chronicle) "A meeting was held at Dr. Fenner's on Monday night to arrange for the formation of a cricket and lawn tennis club."

  • 1907: Twelve grass courts were laid down on land adjacent to Norwich Road, Cromer.

  • August 21st 1908: (Cromer Post) "The Cromer Lawn Tennis Club brought their first annual tournament to a successful conclusion on Saturday. There was a large attendance at the finals, affording evidence of the popularity of the gathering. Though the courts were only completed by the end of April, they were in excellent condition, both as regards surface and appointments. For this the committee and the groundsman deserved full share of praise. The total number of events received during the week for the various events was 167." Local dentist Mr. A West Walker was the first winner.

  • August 1919: The Men's Open singles became the Open Singles Championship of Norfolk

  • August 1923: Mrs Winston Churchill played in the Open Mixed Doubles and in the following year the 5th Marquess of Cholmondeley became the first Norfolk player to win the men's Open Championship.

  • August 1926: Two days of heavy rain forced a number of events to be transferred to the indoor courts which were opened at nearby Newhaven Court the previous year. (these were erected at a cost of £10,000 and were the only covered tennis courts outside London)

  • August 1927: Seven times former Wimbledon ladies champion Mrs Dorothea Lambert Chambers won both the ladies and mixed doubles.

  • January 18th 1935: (Norfolk Chronicle) "Cromer Lawn Tennis Club grounds, situated on the Norwich Road, are to be bought for the town by Cromer Urban Council. The price is £1250.

  • August 1953: The tournament was won by Tony Pickard of Derbyshire (who went on to achieve success as coach of Stefan Edberg) while in 1955 the ladies champion was a young Ann Haydon who , as Ann Jones, went on to become Wimbledon ladies champion in 1969.

  • 1956: A new body, the Cromer Lawn Tennis Courts Association was formed

  • August 1975: Fifteen male members of the Iranian national team monopolised the tournament.

  • 1978: Bob Cox, groundsman for 40 years retires and is succeeded by Mike Thompson who goes on to give 29 years service

  • 1979: Cromer Lawn Tennis and Squash Association is formed

  • 2005: North Norfolk District Council grant CLTSA a 31 year lease, at an annual rent of £1, with an option to renew for a further 14 years

  • 2008: The club celebrates its centenary with a grand ball attended by 320 members and guests